Monday, July 27, 2009

What Do You Give An 800 lb. Gorilla?

Whatever s/he wants. Now.

Such is the case with AT&T's blocking of 4chan. For those unfamiliar with the imageboard, I advise you to stay that way if you have even a shred of innocence left in you that you want to preserve. I would not want to mess with 4chan, hell- when the ever outspoken PZ Myers wrote about it, he said,

"I am not a great fan of 4chan (actually, I tremble in fear at even mentioning them, so I have to respect them—I'd rather piss off the Catholic Church than 4chan), but in this case I have to be on their side without reservation."


To be honest, I'm a little apprehensive mentioning them as well.

There's plenty of analysis on PZ's post and what he links to. Instead I'll just say that the 4chan community is very, VERY, proactive, and behind their power is their anonymity and ability to coordinate quickly and devastatingly. On the one hand, you don't want to make it sound like they can launch a nuke if they felt like it. On the other hand, there's a small part of you that thinks,
"Maybe they could..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freedom of speech! Comment freely. I will delete just as freely. Generally, avoid being obnoxious and you'll avoid frustration.

Keep in mind your comments may be held up by a spam filter.